Saturday, March 13, 2010

25th of May 2010

Day 2. Gracie and I got up early to make the drive back to Vanderbilt to see Jesse. Paige volunteered to watch the kiddos for me. Jesse's Dad, brother, and Grandmother were driving up from Texas. It was the first time in many years that she had left the state of Texas. That day, the doctors talked to us and told us that they would not be able to do Jesse's surgeries for a few more days. They needed to wait for him to stabilize more before proceeding. I was still clueless on what I was supposed to be doing or what to expect. Everything they were telling us did not look promising at all. My Unit, Katie Fuller and the FRG were being very understanding and supportive. Paige became my liaison. She would be a point of contact for me so that I could concentrate on Jesse and not have to answer too many phone calls. It was hard to tell the same story over again and explain to people that we didn’t know what was going to happen.

That day, the counselor at the hospital came to speak with me. I had to fill out even more paperwork. She also told me that a lady from Shepherd would be contacting me. That was where they wanted Jesse to go for his rehabilitation. I think at that point I was a walking zombie. I was getting no sleep, and was trying to figure out how I was going to take care of everything. Jesse was the one who took care of all of the bills and household matters. All I had to do was concentrate on flying and spending time with the kids. The doctors had Jesse on Fentanyl and other strong pain medicine's. He doesn't remember any of that, which is probably for the best. I asked the nurse's to have a priest come to pray with him. Most of the nurses were very friendly and seemed to care. They also gave me a code for when I was not at the hospital so that I could call in and check up on him. Coffee was beginning to be my best friend.
It was the end of the day. Vanderbilt had a very strict visitation policy. You could only visit for certain periods of time during the day. After the last visitation we headed back home. We made a quick stop at Paige's to pick up the kids but JD didn't want to come home. It broke my heart. The kids knew something was up but couldn't understand it. We went home, ate, and tried to get some sleep for the next long day ahead of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment