Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The next 12 hours

So, where did I leave off? On the morning of May 25th, Jesse's mom flew in from Taft, TX. I had to fill out a lot of paperwork and still no one could tell me anything. Jesse was in an open area inside the trauma unit at Vanderbilt. The nurses could monitor him more closely that way. The kids stayed the night at Paige's house. Man, now that I think back on that night, I realize my poor babies had no idea what happened or what was going on. How do you explain to a 4 and 6 year old that kind of news? Thank god for my friends!! I don't think I could have made it through the beginning without them. When you see the person you love, lying there with a bunch of machines hooked up to them, it is the scariest thing in the world. The funny thing is everyone there thought he did not speak English because his real name is Jesus. I try to remember back to that day but most of it is just a blur. I don't know if that has to do with the lack of sleep, being scared, or not knowing what was going to happen. All I really remember is being a complete wreck! Jesse's cousin Jorge and his wife Melba picked up his mom from the airport and brought her to Vanderbilt. When she first saw Jesse she cried. It was hard to see that. I thought about seeing my own baby lying there, not knowing if he was going to make it or even breathe on his own. I don’t know how I would have felt. I think it was different for her, seeing her son in that condition. I remember thinking that it was just an awful dream. I was going to wake up and everything was going to be fine. Or he was going to look at me and say “hey I am all right. Before long everything is going to be normal again”. I lived on false hopes for awhile. I think that is the only way to make it through something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment